Work with Us
Title: Teaching Artist
Immediate Supervisor: Education Director
Classification and Pay: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
$20/hr while training, $40/hr when approved to lead residencies (1-2 semesters)
Quantum Theatre seeks passionate teaching artists experienced in devised theater and remote instruction. Quantum’s Education program has been in operation for over 15 years, providing High School and Middle School students in the Pittsburgh Public Schools with a range of previous theatrical experience a 6-8 week devising experience and culminating “Education Day” at one of Quantum’s environmental venues where original works are shared and students have the opportunity to both experience a portion of the anchoring production and engage with its artists.
- Meet with Education Director and classroom teachers to understand learning objectives and align residency lesson plans
- Over the course of 6-8 weeks of classroom visits:
- Lead students through a devising process where they create short original works inspired by the themes of Quantum’s environmentally created shows.
- Engage students with a wide variety of previous creative theatrical experience in the artistic process.
- Rehearse and prepare students for a culminating Education Day performance located at one of Quantum’s site-specific venues.
- Maintain regular communication with teachers and Education Director on progress of the devising process, classroom instruction and changing needs of students
- Maintain flexibility and in the classroom and be present for all scheduled visits
- 3+ years’ experience as a teaching artist working in theater arts.
- Experience creating devised theater projects strongly desired.
- Experience teaching remotely over ZOOM / Teams etc. strongly desired.
- Must have or be able to attain necessary clearances for work in schools with children.
- Must provide own transportation.
Quantum Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, or disability. We strongly encourage Black, Indigenous, and people of color to apply.
Please submit cover letter and resume to:
Stewart Urist, Executive Director Quantum Theatre
Directors and Designers
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Karla Boos, Artistic Director.
Future Opportunities: We accept resumes and headshots year-round. Please send to our submissions inbox – email@example.com.
Quantum Theatre regularly seeks interns to work as production assistants on its season of environmentally produced works. $1,000 stipends are available, and we will complete any paperwork needed for students to gain college credit. Interested parties should contact Michelle Engleman, Director of Production for more information.
Quantum is also currently seeking applicants for its year-long Marketing Internship and Development Internship. These positions are unpaid but Quantum will gladly complete paperwork allowing students to utilize work-study awards or earn college credit in connection with their work. Applications are due to Executive Director Stewart Urist (firstname.lastname@example.org) by September 10.