Work with Us
Director of Production
The Director of Production will work closely with the Founding Artistic and Managing Directors to implement all technical aspects of Quantum’s non-traditional, environmental theatre productions. The position requires excellent problem solving skills and a broad range of technical theatre knowledge. In short, the DoP is responsible for making the choices which will make the visions of our directors and designers come to life and which ensure venues can safely and comfortably accommodate an audience.
In addition to realizing the current projects under Artistic Director Karla Boos’ leadership, Quantum’s staff and board have conceived plans that will extend the mission of the company to more actively support developing artists and our mid-sized peers through collaboration and exchange.
The position offers a competitive salary in a vibrant small city with good quality of life, full health benefits, at times a flexible off-season schedule, and well-stocked materials and equipment.
- Supervise and direct all technical processes of building and executing Quantum’s non-traditional environmental theatrical productions.
- Research and prepare performance sites
- Collaborate with and coordinate work with designers and director
- Manage production budgets in regular coordination with Director of Operations
- Supervise Technical Director
- Hire and supervise building crew and interns in collaboration with Technical Director
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Knowledge about all aspects of technology as applied to live theatre: carpentry, drafting, lighting, sound, and video technology both current and outdated.
- Ability to solve problems related to electrical wiring, HVAC systems, plumbing, and building code in Quantum’s non-traditional venues.
- Resourcefulness — ability to think creatively and find solutions in an environment where much must be accomplished with limited resources.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal and management skills.
- Detail oriented and organized.
- Flexibility and fearlessness in the face of frequently changing circumstances.
- Self-starter with ability to work independently.
- Wish to inspire confidence in: Artistic Director, directors from many traditions, designers both new and highly experienced, crews, performers, building owners, and inspectors.
- Comfortable using email, Dropbox, and willingness to adopt other technological solutions that aid in fostering a collaborative environment.
3-5 years experience in production management, technical direction, or related field.
Classification: Exempt Salary: $50,000 based upon level of experience
Quantum Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Directors and Designers
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Karla Boos, Artistic Director.
Quantum accepts interns for summer, fall, or spring terms. At this time, all Internships are unpaid but course credit is available:
Future Opportunities: We accept resumes and headshots year-round. Please send to Karla Boos, Artistic Director.